Sunday 14 April 2013

Evaluation Question 2

How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?

As well as our final product, the horror trailer. My group independently made other ancillary texts, such as a film poster and a film magazine front cover for our final product trailer, Subliminal. More research was required for these developments, I analysed three professional horror posters and three film magazine covers.

My ancillary texts all feature images from a photo shoot we done as a group using props that are also used in the trailer, such as the mask. Together, the poster, film magazine cover and horror trailer are all obviously linked, they all feature one of the main props we used in the trailer. Even without promotion the audience would be able to tell that all three products were connected.


Whilst making our trailer and ancillary, we had previously researched three aspects of promotion. They were audience, advertising and publicity. For the audience research we sent out questionnaires to students in the age range we were aiming for ,15 to 25 year olds.
Statistically this is the most likely age group to go and view a horror film at the cinema. Doing so we took our feedback and discussed if our film idea was ideal and what advertising techniques we should use to promote our trailer. With our feedback taken into account we proceeded with the next step, advertising.

Next we started advertising our horror trailer, the first ancillary text I made was the film poster. For the poster I used an image I thought wouldn't give much away and looked simple. Whilst on the photo shoot we placed the mask on a hook in a changing room. I chose this image for my poster, it's simple because it's resting on a hook and it already had a plain background because the hook was on a wall. The hooks in the image and the hook that mask is on, didn't really have a meaning. But from first sight it could be seen as quite sinister. A scary looking mask hanging on a hook in the middle of the wall, the audience might have started overlooking the poster and trying to imagine why it was in that setting, which is exactly what we want to happen, the film is all about messing with peoples heads and making them think. One thing I didn't like about the original image is that it had benches below the hooks in the left corner, which took away the sinister feel to the poster. So, using Adobe Photoshop I rubbed out the benches and replaced the empty patch with more of the same wall. I then made the image black and white and added a red film title at the top so it stood out. I also added mine and my teams names because we all starred in the trailer.


The next ancillary text I made to promote our trailer was the film magazine cover. For this development I used a already existing film magazine cover beneath mine as a guide for the title and positioning. I decided to keep with the black and white theme, like the poster because it brings out more details on the mask and makes it look more professional and sinister. Also with the background and image being black and white, the red text really stands out. I add a slogan to my magazine cover because I thought it looked a bit too empty and boring. This slogan fills negative space and also makes the audience think, almost like a clue for what is going to happen in the film. Another thing I added to stop it from looking too plain and boring, is a textured background, I also had to turn this texture black and white, but I think it works well, it stops the cover from looking to plain and it's not taking any attention away from the mask. I filled the rest of the edges with information of what is featured in the magazine, I think I have evenly spaced them out with the right amount of text and size of text so it looks even and professional. I placed the film title over the mask, but kept it off of the mouth and eye holes so it didn't disrupt the image, this way the image still gains the attention but is obvious that the title is connected with the image.

Together, our main products and my ancillary texts work very well together, they all include the iconic mask and reveal nothing, which makes it mysterious. I think the poster and magazine cover would keep the audience wondering and curious which is very effective in terms of the plot of the film. The mysterious effect of the poster and magazine cover support the film and keeps the audience thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment